Friday, November 10, 2006

An Introduction

I had been thinking about starting this blog for awhile. But I had (and still have) hesitations. This blog will focus on disabilities – but I do not identify as disabled. What could I contribute to a discussion on disability? What if I’m considered an imposter or a hanger on?

To combat the second concern, I’ll come out now and say I’m able bodied (AB). I do not say this to brag or be seen as superior. I say it to acknowledge that my body affects my daily life even if I don’t always realize it. It allows me some amount of undeserved privilege in society. Other people who are less like the “ideal body” (or mind) are not only looked down on and pitied, they are denied rights.

Which is why I have to write. I see injustices every day, how can I stay quiet? I want to participate in the discussion of disability rights, but even if I contribute nothing, I at least have to speak out about what I see. If I am not part of the solution, I am part of the problem.

I want this blog to be a recording and exploration of society’s attitudes and actions. I also want it to be an education for me and other able bodied people. I want to explore different parts of disability rights as well as how society oppresses or supports people with disabilities (and why this matters to everyone). I want to learn and ask and explore and write and become an ally in the fight for equal rights.

1 comment:

Wheelchair Dancer said...

ohhh! HI!! I just discovered your blog by chance. Way to go! Looking forward to reading more!!